Thursday, January 12, 2012

The thing I'm trying to learn is being frustrating, so I'll be going back to basics instead.  How basic?  Did you brush your teeth?  Someone in my house still needs to be reminded about this.  So - How is your self care?

Self care is the basis for coping skills.  If your hair stinks, it doesn't matter which Axe you use.  If you allow your clothes to stay dirty, then don't be surprised when no one wants to hug you and that it doesn't matter which jeans you're wearing.

I'm grinning as I write this because this is still my super-long morning.  Up before dawn and mumbling around until I have to bundle up for the crappy job.  I'm still in jammies with scruffy teeth!  (giggle)  So, what would I be doing if I were taking good care of myself?

I set up flylady at one time to help track things.  Things that are measured will show improvement.  Self care is measured in the depth of what you care about.  So, where are you today?  Zinging and awesome or flirting with depressive levels?  Either way is fine - it's just a snapshot of who you've chosen to be right now.  You can go be someone else if you like.  Today, I get to be a lazy bum for another 10 minutes, and I'm choosing to blog about it, so stalkers bugger off!

First, I'm going to rewrite my routine.  Today, I woke to my alarm and called for the person who needs early help.  "Are you up?"  "Yes"  "Are you really up?"  "YES!"  "Are you dressed?"  "YES I AM"  "Did you brush your teeth?"  "Not yet"  (sigh)  I'm not even asking about the clean underwear and socks because I don't want to know.

The person that needs help has a routine written out to the small details.  Most people probably don't need this, but it might be helpful to have an authority reminding you to just use the good sunscreen along with the routine basics.  If nothing else, having a basic routine posted, and using it daily will be one easy thing to accomplish. It only takes 30 days to start new habits, so start a routine to make sure that you've done the things that leave you FABULOUS and ready for your day.

Homework - write yours up now.  Every morning, what do you care about within the first hour?  You can write another list of everything you'd like to accomplish (and I will), but the most important fits in the first hour.   Put the entire routine there, all the details of EVERY morning.

This is already too long, but my first hour is usually:
Alarm - one snooze allowed - ONE!
2nd alarm - actually get up and pee.
N - moving?
Medicate the dog
Coffee
Fire

Bonus points for
EAT!  Coffee creamer is not enough
Vitamins - Multi, D, Calcium and C
Yoga -
Computer (email, Rav, FB?)
Shower
Teeth
Dress to shoes

So, where are you today?  I'll write more on this theme tomorrow.  If you want to jump ahead - http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/31-beginner-babysteps/   It's the best outline, but it can be quite overwhelming and "This doesn't apply to me"  My schedule doesn't apply to most either, but I have a woodstove and people to care for.  It's where I am at this second and is now on a green post it on my mirror.  Plus, I'm already late for the shower part (grin), so DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

No comments: